Brighton and Hove is the result of a number of historic local government reorganisations: Brighton was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1854, later becoming a county borough under the Local Government Act 1888; it covered the parish of Brighton and part of Preston;
Hove became a local board of health in the late 19th century, originally covering the parish of Hove;In 1893 the parish of Aldrington was added to Hove local board; Hove became incorporated as a municipal borough in 1898; Hangleton, Preston Rural and West Blatchington were added to Hove in 1928;Ovingdean, Patcham and Rottingdean were added to Brighton in 1928;Portslade-by-Sea was added to Hove in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. Both Brighton and Hove became non-metropolitan districts of East Sussex.
However Brighton recovered in the late 18th century. The recovery started in 1750 when a doctor named Richard Russell wrote a book in which he claimed that bathing in seawater was good for a person's health. Gradually wealthy people began to visit Brighton. They believed that bathing in seawater would cure their illnesses. At first, only a small number came but in 1783 the Prince of Wales and his friends visited Brighton. Many rich people followed and the town boomed. As the town revived the first theatre opened in North Street in 1774. The first grammar school in Brighton opened in 1789. By 1767 two Assembly Rooms were built (for dancing and playing cards) at the Old Ship Inn (Ship Street is named after it) and at the Castle Tavern (which stood on the south side of the Marketplace). In 1773 a Market House was built for covered markets. The population of Brighton grew rapidly in the late 18th century. It was only around 2,000 in 1750 but it grew to about 4,000 in 1783 when the Prince of Wales visited. As the town boomed new streets were built in the space between Middle Street and East Street and by 1792 many of the Lanes were built up. Between 1770 and 1795 635 new houses were built. Furthermore, new streets were built north and east of Brighton including Battery Place, Bond Street, Broad Street, Charles Street, Church Street, King Street, Manchester Street, Russell Street, and Old and New Steine. In 1787 Brighton Pavilion was built for the first time. (However, it was originally built in classical style. The original building looked quite unlike the present oriental one). Then in 1793 two batteries were built at Brighton. One was on East cliff near the bottom of Marine Parade. The other battery was opposite Artillery Place. (Both were removed in the 19th century).